Client BMVIT, FFG
Status/Duration Ongoing (2017 - 2020)
The EGRD examines analytical approaches to energy technologies, policies, and R&D on targeted, timely topics. It thus deals with strategies for research (scenario development, roadmaps or implementation strategies for new energy technologies) as well as with the implementation of research projects.
The results and recommendations support the Committee on Energy Research and Technology (CERT), feed into IEA analysis, and enable a broad perspective of energy technology issues. Recent topics analysed include System Resiliency and Flexibility (2019), Future Energy Marked Design and Water-Energy Nexus (2018), Towards a Consumer-Driven Energy System - Understanding Human Behaviour and Blue Sky Research for Energy Technology (2017).
Aim and Approach
The aim is to bring together international experience in the range of energy research in order to prepare national strategy papers and to bring Austrian expertise and best practice examples into the international cooperation.
The expert group organises workshops twice each year. The results of these experts' discussions are documented in comprehensive reports.
The work programme 2017-2020 includes the following workshop topics:
- Workshop 1: Blue Sky Research for Energy Technology (June 14 and 15, 2017 in Birmingham)
- Workshop 2: Towards a Consumer Driven Energy System (October 12 and 13, 2017 in Copenhagen)
- Workshop 3: Addressing the Energy-Water Nexus through R&D Planning and Policies (May 28 and 29, 2018 in Brussels)
- Workshop 4: R&D prioritization and evaluation (Q4 2018)
- Workshop 5: System resiliency and flexibility (13. - 14. May 2019 in Vienna)
- Workshop 6: Green fossil fuels (Q4 2019)